Breakfast at Marissa's

Tuesday, October 16, 2007

I'm Finally Growing

Either I’m getting bigger or the world is getting smaller. No, I’m not referring to my waist line here, although you can be sure that with bakeries on every street, it certainly hasn’t shrunk. Last night while lying in bed I realized that my feet touch the bottom. This has never been the case. The beds here in Greece, and the mattresses are shorter and smaller in general. I can’t imagine being any taller than I am and having to sleep in these beds each night. lol. It’s just the right size for me.

Another thing that’s smaller though, are the steps. The steps are so close together, not that tall, and so there are more of them to every flight of stairs. I live on the second floor (which is really the third since they count the first floor as the ground floor) and so I have three flights, two of them spiral. And I feel like I’m going to trip (and I have before) every time. Plus, your legs get tired more easily. We have these steps that we have to walk down and up everyday when we go to downtown Athens for Athens on Site or other reasons. Anywhen, they are the steps that go from our street all the way down to the old Olympic Stadium and we call them the Stairway to Hell, because it’s three initial steps and then 7 flights (74 stairs) of steps. They are a bitch to walk up everyday and half the time we debate walking all the way around just so we don’t have to walk up them. They are that bad.

Then there’s the spoon situation. Greece doesn’t have little spoons and big spoons, it has teeny tiny spoons, and gigantic can’t put your mouth around spoons. The smallest ones feel like baby spoons and the other ones are just ridiculous to try to use. lol. It’s interesting.

The cars are smaller here too. Sure they have some regular cars that are like the ones in the states, but the European cars are so tiny and box shaped. They look fun to drive around, like clown cars. And most of them are fun colors too. I would never try driving here though. The drivers are nuts!! Just crazy! Every day walking to class I put my life at danger crossing those streets. lol. That is why we must ALWAYS wait for the walking sign to come on.

So, I suppose all these things are a good thing in a way. I’ve always wanted to be bigger, or taller that is, and in Greece I often feel it. Sweeeeeeet.

2 Comments:

  • At 3:35 AM, Blogger Katherine said…

    You have spiral stairs in the place you live and didn't tell me?!?!?!?!

     
  • At 12:10 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    lol : )

     

Post a Comment

<< Home