Breakfast at Marissa's

Sunday, April 22, 2007

i before e except after c

English has NEVER been my best subject. I mean, I’m not completely daft when it comes to English but I’m not brilliant either, far from actually. Maybe that’s why I don’t like English- because I’m not good at it. I was just never one of those people who cared about nouns, adverbs, adjectives, prepositions, whether or not I’m putting my commas in the right places (something I was never good at), etc. Also, you know, I didn’t really have a great English teacher either, any year…There is just a lot to remember about the English language and it comes naturally to some people. But to me…I just can’t really handle it. Give me a math problem over grammar ANY day!!

My Examples:

1. That whole “i before e except after c” saying. It barely ever works!! Examples include weird, species, science, vein. You can’t make a rule like this if there are just as many words that it doesn’t work for as there are words that it does. This perturbs me!

2. The word colonel, as in military rank. It’s not pronounced anything like it is spelled. It’s pronounced like “kernel”. How does an l turn into an r??!!!! It just makes no sense whatsoever! And it always frustrated me when I came across it in school.

3. Something that I was never good at…knowing when to use “good” and when to use “well”. I still get called on this one all the time. Usually only from those people who think they are soooo smart cause they understand the English language. I don’t care if I use the wrong term. I’ll say what I want to say. If I’m not feeling good…don’t correct me…you know what I mean. You get the gist.

4. Where do the commas go? It seems like I’m always putting in a comma where it doesn’t go, or not putting in a comma where it does go. I don’t even want to know how many mistakes I’ve probably made in this entry. I don’t want to hear it.


These are just many of the examples of why I do not particularly care for our confusing English language. Did you know that supposedly it’s the hardest language to learn? And I’ve never been good with languages. (which makes me scared to take Modern Greek in Greece- although I did get an A in Ancient Greek…) But you know at the same time, maybe I’m a hypocrite because there are certain parts of the English language that really annoy me when other people mess up. You know, the things that I learned in school and actually stuck in my brain. I can really only think of two that really annoy me. (the first one more so than the second)

1. I understand the difference between “seen” and “saw”. “I saw a movie last night” as opposed to “I seen that the other day”. AH!!! I HATE when people do this!!! It’s just sooo annoying!! It doesn’t make you sound that smart… (although now I’m a total hypocrite because I bet I am really annoying to other people when I say “good” instead of “well”…sorry)

2. The word “huge” has an h at the beginning. It’s not silent…it’s at the beginning of the word…so please…PRONOUNCE it!!! It’s not “uge”…it’s “h-uge”!! (sorry mom…you know I LOVE YOU even though this is a problem you have- if you want you can call me on the good/well thing)

So, I guess I’m a hypocrite. But still…I don’t like grammer. I’m not an amazing speller. I can’t stand when you say “seen” instead of “saw”. And thank GOD for Microsoft Word to help me through my difficulties. :D

P.S. DO NOT leave me comments on here telling me how many mistakes I’ve made in this entry. I do not want to hear it and I will delete it. : )

2 Comments:

  • At 8:11 PM, Blogger Katherine said…

    Good thing you has an sister whose in English major like i!

    heehee...

     
  • At 6:28 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    :)

     

Post a Comment

<< Home