Breakfast at Marissa's

Tuesday, February 06, 2007

Marissa In A Nutshell

I remember one time in sixth grade my teacher gave us a hand out that had a drawing of a girl’s bedroom with random things inside. Then it had this explanation about how you are an archaeologist and this girl’s room was discovered from 50 years ago. It then said to look at the picture and describe what you could tell about the girl by what she had in her room or how her room was decorated. Then it said to think of your own room and describe what people 50 years from now could say about you based on your bedroom.

I remember being upset because at this time I didn’t feel like my room reflected me at all. I had white walls with blue ballerina slippers stenciled around the top from years and years ago when my mom surprised K and I with them one day. I never did ballet but I appreciated the thought. She probably did it to match our bedspreads which were blue and white stripes. I hate the color blue. Then there was our furniture. ALL white, our dressers, our bookshelf, and even our beds. White is so childish I remember thinking. Oh, and our beds were also canopies. Yeah....

Then on our walls we had random posters up. My mom runs the Book Fair at school and I guess Katherine and I would look at all the posters and feel like we had to have some of them- even though we really didn’t. Just as an example we had a poster of Christy Yamaguchi (spelling). I remember watching ice skating with my mom sometimes when I was little but I’m sure I didn’t know who she was at that time though. So why did I have a picture of her on my wall?

These are just random things that I did not like about my room at that time. It just felt so childish. And by 6th grade I think I was “ready” to have a more teenage room. Or something like that. Anywhen…for some reason I was thinking about my bedroom and this question. What would you be able to say about me by looking at my room now?

I think that my bedroom (at home of course) is very much ME! Katherine and I finally got to re-do our bedroom senior year of high school. Actually…it was a work in progress…Anywhen, I love my bedroom. It is probably my favorite room in our house- it never used to be. It’s very warm (not temperature wise..), comfortable, sophisticated but fun, and classic. Is that me? lol.

The thing I love about my room though is how much it reflects me. The Ophelia painting on the wall, the monkey stuffed animals on the bed, the green comforter, the million (okay..not that many..) books from Shakespeare to Jane Austen to Sophocles to Alexandre Dumas and all the other amazings, the tons of picture frames filled with great memories and friends, my dresser which is covered with stuff I never got around to putting away (some of which include glasses from winning the best eyes for Senior Night and my 2 inch splinter they had to scalpel out of me..another story for another time..). All of it is Marissa in a nutshell.

So, I’d say that if in fifty years people wanted to know more about me (as if it’s likely that 1. people would want to know about me and 2. that my room would still be preserved the exact way it is now) I’d say they’d be able to tell a lot from my room. And I love that! Because there aren’t ballerina slippers on the walls anymore. lol. And your bedroom is supposed to reflect the person who sleeps in it. It just makes it so much more personal. So, does your room reflect you?? Cause mine reflects me!

2 Comments:

  • At 4:28 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I'm so glad you're happy with your bedroom! When I'm missing you I like to lay on your bed and look at the beautiful picture of Ophilia. Sorry it took so long to redo, but if we'd done it before, it probably wouldn't reflect you now like you feel it does. Now I can't wait to remodel my room! Let's see if I can make it reflect Dad AND me. :-)

     
  • At 5:15 PM, Blogger Marissa said…

    who cares about daddy. make it full of purple lilacs. haha.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home